Biography and MorphologyEdit
The Vex appeared on Venus from an unknown location by way of transfer gates that allow them to instantly warp through worlds and time. All attempts to communicate with the Vex have failed, due to their single purpose to expand their species throughout the galaxy, commanded by Axis Minds that single-handedly control whole armies.
Their bodies are made of an unknown metal alloy resembling hammered brass, yet they are not entirely mechanical; some organic materials are present as well. If they are decapitated, they will remain active and become more aggressive. Their routines and ceremonies remain mysterious and illogical to humans; they are hostile, unrelenting, and deadly. The Vex despise the Cabal as much as humanity and are constantly fighting them on Mars, keeping Cabal operations from expanding further into the system.
The Vex have total control of Mercury and inhabit a massive stronghold on Venus humans call The Citadel. They have a stronghold on Io which Asher Mir calls Pyramidion. They also have a presence on Mars and are the sole residents of the Black Garden.
- Main article: Goblin
- Main article: Hobgoblin
Hobgoblins resemble Goblins, but are larger and can be distinguished by their distinctive tails, as well as differently shaped heads. Though Hobgoblins have relatively low health they should not be taken lightly due to the sniper-like line rifle they use. When shot, Hobgoblins will crouch, activating a temporary, impenetrable shield that deals solar damage to Guardians that get too close. This ability has a cooldown period.
- Main article: Minotaur
Minotaurs are even larger than Hobgoblins, with broad shoulders and three glowing eyes. They are very dangerous if not handled quickly, due to their aggressive teleportation and explosive weaponry. They also have a Void shield.
- Main article: Praetorian
- Main article: Cyclops
Cyclops are large, T-shaped, one-eyed Vex. The Cyclops are known for being one of the strongest if not the strongest non-boss Vex unit. They function as a stationary turret of sorts, and do not appear often.
- Main article: Hydra
- Main article: Harpy
Harpies are smaller Vex that dart in and out of battle, firing from mouths filled with filaments. Though relatively weak, this unit relies on swarm tactics to overwhelm its foes. Harpies in missions that have the epic modifier active will possess an Arc shield.
Currently, eight programmings within the Vex army exist. These include:
- Main article: Aphix Invasive
The Aphix Invasive is a programming revealed in the official strategy guide. An Axis Minotaur belonging to this programming spawns in the Nexus strike if Guardians camp in the entry to the Nexus. Axis Minotaurs from this programming can also appear as an Eliminate the Target Public Event on Mars, in the Vault of Glass or in the Prison of Elders.
- Main article: Sol Imminent
The Sol Imminent (a.k.a. Descendants) are an ancient programming located in Venus, who have been seen in the darkest, deepest portions of the Vault of Glass. They are portrayed in black with characteristics similar to feudal China's military.
- Main article: Hezen Corrective
- Main article: Hezen Protective
- Main article: Sol Divisive
The Sol Divisive is a programming located in the Black Garden, most of which are frozen in rapture. Very few members of the group are active, but the ones that are very religious, due to the word "disciple" appearing in their names. They are green with moss hanging from their bodies.
- Main article: Sol Primeval
- Main article: Sol Progeny
The Sol Progeny is a programming located in the Black Garden. This group consists of three massive Vex, who are designated as the protectors of the Black Heart. They resemble giant Minotaurs, with each bearing a differently-shaped head.
- Main article: Virgo Prohibition
The Virgo Prohibition is a programming located on Venus and Mars, who are major enemies of the Cabal in the Meridian Bay area, as well as the protectors of the Black Garden's door. They are portrayed in blue and black.
Battle Tactics and TechnologyEdit
For the Vex, their battles are all about overwhelming numbers and massive armies. Little else is known about their battle tactics, but players should remember that the Vex weak spot is not the head (like with most enemies and for players) but rather the center of their torso, where their glowing power core is vulnerable. Decapitating them can actually make them more dangerous, as they enter a berserk state and fire wildly. However, pushing Vex into their berserk state could be beneficial as they lose some abilities: e.g. a headless Minotaur loses its shield, a headless Goblin loses the ability to teleport, and a headless Hobgoblin loses the ability to become immune and deal AoE damage for a short amount of time.
- The Vex are designed to resemble a "classic science-fiction machine race" mixed with the "inscrutable motives of a timeworn Lovecraftian nightmare monster." The result is not a typical science-fiction android race, but rather a "mixture of robots and creatures" that fight their enemies with "endless waves of metal armies."
- Despite their appearance, the Vex are not robots--they are actually a heavily modified organic race that the player's Ghost claims to be radiolaria. This is also why destroying their heads simply enrages them--their organic, thinking parts are the white fluid that sprays from their power cores.
- ↑ Bungie (2014) Destiny, A Stranger's Call. Activision.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Miller, Matt. (January 2014 Print Edition) "A Player's Journey: Destiny". Game Informer. Retrieved 31 Dec. 2013.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Vore, Bryan. (2013-12-16) "The Enemies of Destiny". Game Informer. Retrieved 2 Jan. 2014.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Destinythegame.com "Destiny Vex Enemy Class". Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Dague, David. (2013-03-1) "Bungie: News: The March of the Mail Sack". Bungie Inc.. Retrieved Sep. 5, 2013.
- ↑ Destiny Official Strategy Guide
|Player||Awoken • Exo • Human|
|Enemy||Cabal • Fallen • Hive • Vex • Taken • Devil Splicers|
|Player||Hunter • Titan • Warlock|