|This article does not contain enough correct in-line citations. Please help improve this page by fixing or adding more citations. [Proposed: September 19, 2014]|
A Public Event is a type of global multiplayer minigame in Destiny wherein numerous players, grouped in fireteams, work together to complete a specific objective in order to earn experience and loot, often during Patrol.
Public Events are rated after completion based on the Guardians' performance. If time runs out before the objective is met, the Guardians will receive a Bronze-tier rating. If time runs out but the Guardians manage to almost complete the objective, the Guardians will receive a Silver rating. If the objective is completed before the timer runs out, the Guardians will receive a Gold rating. Guardians are rewarded with Glimmer, experience, and sometimes a rare material for Gold-Tier ratings, which are rewarded instantly. Guardians can also pick up an additional reward at the postmaster if its their first gold-tier rating of the day.
Known Public Events Edit
Defeat the Extraction Crews Edit
Players must work together to eliminate groups of Fallen at two to four different extraction points. Each extraction point is marked by a hovering extractor and protected by one group of enemies delivered by a Skiff. After each point is cleared, a new one will appear elsewhere in the zone and will be protected by tougher enemies. Players are given one minute to kill the defenders at each of the extraction points, as well as an additional minute in order to locate and travel to a new point once it appears.
Destroy the Fallen Walker Edit
A Fallen Skiff drops a Devil Walker (Earth), an Iron Walker (Moon), or a Winter Walker (Venus) and the players must come together to destroy the vehicle. Other Fallen troops will also appear in the area. Players are given five minutes to complete this task.
Defend the WARSAT Edit
A WARSAT falls from the sky and crashes somewhere in the area. The machine must be scanned by a Ghost and protected until the scanning procedure reaches one hundred percent. In order for the percentage to increase Guardians must stand within a ring that encircles the satellite. More players near the satellite will result in faster percentage growth. Enemies will attack to drive the guardians away, by emerging from nearby caves or being delivered by Skiffs, Tombships, or Harvesters. Players are given four minutes to complete the scan.
Kill the Enemy Target Edit
A powerful enemy spawns within the vicinity and must be killed by the players before it can visit a series of checkpoints. The number of checkpoints may vary depending on the enemy, as well as the location. Targets are major enemies but with increased health and often shields which recharge very quickly. Players are given five minutes to complete this task.
Prevent Vex Sacrifices Edit
A Vex conflux will appear in the area, and hordes of Vex units will spawn near it and attempt to approach it and sacrifice themselves. Players must stop the enemies from reaching it; if one sacrifice occurs the players will not earn a gold rank for the event and if ten occur the event will be a failure. As the timer counts down, stronger and more numerous enemies will appear. Players are given between four and five minutes to complete this task.
World Events do not display the banner or screen darkening effect and instead produce a message in the feed at the bottom-left of the screen. They do not give rewards or count towards completion of a public event Bounty, but they are excellent sources of Glimmer, experience, and engrams.
- The enemy is moving against each other: Two large group of enemies will appear and start fighting each other, continuously spawning replacements for any casualties for the duration of the event. These wars can include any combination of any two species that appear in that location. Many of the enemies found in these events will be Majors. After a few minutes, the message "The enemy weakens and retreats" will appear, and all remaining enemies will vanish.
- A roving band of pikes is moving this way: A squadron of Dregs riding Pikes enters the area. Players can shoot the Dregs off their Pikes and hijack them.
- The minions of Crota have started a ritual: Three Hive Acolytes will spawn in a random monster cave. After a period of time or if the Acolytes are disturbed, the message "The Blades of Crota have invaded this world" will appear, and a Blade of Crota and several other Hive enemies will spawn. Killing the Blade of Crota drops a Cleaver for a Guardian to use for about one minute. The Blades of Crota stopped appearing with the release of House of Wolves.
- A pack of Wolves is prowling: A Skiff appears and drops off several high-level Fallen enemies, including two Captains wielding Scorch Cannons, which can be wielded by Guardians once the Captains are dead. Once the enemies have been killed, the message "The Wolves are frenzied" appears, and more Fallen enemies are dropped off by Skiffs. The last Skiff carries a target of a Queen's Wrath bounty. Once all enemies are killed, the messages "The Wolves retreat" and "A Fallen treasure sits nearby" appear. All players who contributed to killing the bounty target are awarded with the Ether Key buff, which lasts 90 seconds and can be used to unlock an Ether Chest that spawns in a random location in the area. Prowling Wolves stopped appearing with the release of The Taken King.
- A Taken Blight is corrupting the land...: Multiple orbs of Darkness will begin to form and detonate, spawning hordes of Taken and injuring Guardians near the explosions. After 30 seconds, the message "A Taken lieutenant is corrupting the land" appears and a Major Taken will spawn somewhere in the area. Killing it produces the message "A Taken lieutenant has been slain." Two additional Majors will spawn after two more 30-second intervals, if they are not killed quickly the event will end. If the three lieutenants are successfully defeated, the message "Darkness rises! A Taken zealot has come to claim you" appears. A Taken Ultra will spawn, and must be killed before the Taken retreat. Defeating them will count towards quest steps and the Ultra drops a Reciprocal Rune for use in the Court of Oryx.
- ↑ IGN (2013) YouTube: Destiny Gameplay Revealed - E3 2013 Sony Conference 09:05. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- ↑ Bungie (2014-9-9) Destiny: Standard PS3, XB360, PS4, XB1, Activision Blizzard.