The Hive are an impossibly ancient race that battled humanity at the end of their Golden Age. They most prominently reside on the Moon, where they have burrowed deep within its lifeless core, carving out a kingdom for themselves. They have been silent and buried among many dark and terrible secrets, staying there for centuries while growing stronger. They serve as a reminder of the tremendous power that brought forth the Collapse.
Biography and MorphologyEdit
The Hive are an ancient, undead species that traverse the stars in ships that act like sarcophagi, which have kept them alive by some magical means for millennia. The Hive delve deep into a planetoid, unheeding of the damage they do in the process, crafting linked caverns and gothic-inspired columns. Their underground spaces are like a dungeon that has only recently been pulled up from too long underwater. They have existed for billions of years in service to the Worm Gods who gave them their abilities directly from the Formless One. In return for their service, the Worm Gods helped them escape the incoming Syzygy that was going to destroy their homeworld of Fundament. They follow a religion called The Sword Logic, which is an extreme form of Darwinism where only the strongest survive.
The Hive are intended to evoke a feeling of "undead royalty," and are a vaguely humanoid species with "dry, flaking skin encrusted with ancient armor." At least some Hive appear to have supernatural abilities, including the ability to hover or float and manipulate energy and electricity.
Hive are present on the Moon and have constructed a massive underground fortress humans call the Hellmouth. They can also be found in places in Old Russia, Earth, such as at the Skywatch, where they occasionally fight with the Fallen who also reside there.
Hive may be categorized into several classes.
- Main article: Thrall
Thralls are a basic class of Hive. They are white in color and preferring melee attacks using their long fingers tipped with sharp claws and rush up close. They wear no armor other than ancient plates that appear to be encrusted into their bodies. They have no visible eyes and, in some places, their skin has rotted away to expose their bones.
- Main article: Acolyte
Acolytes are Hive foot soldiers and do the bulk of the combat. Formerly known as "Troopers," Acolytes appear to wear helmets with optical qualities and seem to lack the long fingers and sharp claws of their Thrall brethren, enabling them to wield Arc or Void-based weapons.
- Main article: Knight
Knights are large, armored Hive that wield enormous Cleavers or Hive Boomers that launch meteor-like attacks. They can be deadly in large numbers or when accompanied by a Wizard. With the Epic modifier active, Knights posses an Arc shield.
- Main article: Wizard
Wizards are regal, flying enemies that use ranged attacks. This class has elaborate ancient armor, wears a long, crumbling cloak, and appears to float in midair, using dark magic attacks against Guardians. Wizards possess a Solar shield of average strength, depending on the level. If their shield integrity goes too low, they may "hide" or flee until they can recharge.
- Main article: Ogre
- Main article: Shrieker
Shriekers are a Hive class that closely resemble a Fallen Servitor with large armor plates protruding from it. The center is more of a Void "eye." It fires large barrages of homing Void missiles. The name "Hive Shrieker" appeared briefly in a Destiny commercial.
A sniper Acolyte
Currently, six sects within the Hive army exist. These include:
Blood of OryxEdit
- Main article: Blood of Oryx
Spawn of CrotaEdit
- Main article: Spawn of Crota
The Spawn of Crota is a sect located on the Moon, and are the heralds of a dark future, led by a long-forgotten king. Crota and his legions seek to confiscate and control the Moon. Their signature color is yellow.
- Omnigul, the Will of Crota
- Phogoth, the Untamed
- Sardon, Fist of Crota
- Siphon Witches
- Swarm Princes
- Telthor, Unborn
The Hidden SwarmEdit
- Main article: The Hidden Swarm
The Hidden Swarm is a sect located on the Moon, and are designated as the Hive's outermost line of defense. Their main defense points are the various temples and shrines scattered across the vast Hive fortress. Their signature color is red.
The Scarlet BroodEdit
- Main article: The Scarlet Brood
The Scarlet Brood is a sect revealed in the official strategy guide.
Venom of OryxEdit
- Main article: Venom of Oryx
The Venom of Oryx is a sect revealed in the official strategy guide.
The Silent BroodEdit
The Silent Brood appear in The Founts on the Dreadnaught, and also in The Sunless Cell strike. Their signature color is light blue. They are the wardens of the dungeons. They guard those who rose in rebellion against the Taken King, most notably Alak-Hul, The Darkblade of the Hive, the adopted son of Oryx.
Battle Tactics and TechnologyEdit
- The Hive are inspired by the classic undead from fantasy fiction and were designed to "capture a feeling of undead royalty." Hive architecture generally is designed to have an "accentuated sense of scale, menace, and a hefty touch of the exotic without being too alien."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Miller, Matt. (April 04, 2014) "A Player's Journey". GameInformer.com. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- ↑ @DestinyTheGame (February 24, 2014) "Tweet: The Hive are an ancient race ...". Twitter. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- ↑ destinythegame "Destiny Hive Enemy Class". Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- ↑ Vore, Bryan. (December 16, 2013) "The Enemies Of Destiny". GameInformer.com. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 GDC 2013 Panel; 36:00. Retrieved 13 Oct. 2013</small>
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 destinygame (2013-10-1) YouTube.com: Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon 0:58. Retrieved 1 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ destinygame (2013-10-1) YouTube.com: Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon 1:11, 1:20. Retrieved 1 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Dague, David. (2013-10-4) "Bungie Weekly Update, October 4, 2013". Bungie Inc.. Retrieved 4 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ McCaffrey, Ryan. (2013) "IGN Destiny Quick FAQ". IGN. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Miller, Matt. (January 2014 Print Edition) "A Player's Journey: Destiny". Game Informer. Retrieved 31 Dec. 2013.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 destinygame (2013-08-22) YouTube.com: Out Here in the Wild: Official Destiny ViDoc 3:34. Retrieved 13 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 (28 Apr. 2014) YouTube: Official Destiny Strike Gameplay: The Devil's Lair 1:14. Retrieved 30 Apr. 2014.
- ↑ Miller, Matt. (January 2014 Print Edition) "A Player's Journey: Destiny". Game Informer. Retrieved 31 Dec. 2013.
- ↑ destinygame (2013-08-22) YouTube.com: Out Here in the Wild: Official Destiny ViDoc 3:34. Retrieved 13 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 destinygame (2013-10-1) YouTube.com: Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon 0:58. Retrieved 13 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 destinygame (2013-10-1) YouTube.com: Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon 1:04. Retrieved 1 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ destinygame (2013-10-1) YouTube.com: Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon 1:26. Retrieved 13 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ destinygame (2013-03-28) YouTube.com: Bungie at GDC 2013: Destiny Character Development 0:12. Retrieved 13 Oct. 2013.
- ↑ destinygame (2013-10-1) YouTube.com: Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon 1:30. Retrieved 2 Jan. 2014.
- ↑ PlayStation (2014-03-10) YouTube.com: Destiny Sharing Commercial 0:15. Retrieved 10 Mar. 2014.
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Destiny Official Strategy Guide
- ↑ GDC 2013 Panel
|Player||Awoken • Exo • Human|
|Enemy||Cabal • Fallen • Hive • Vex • Taken • Devil Splicers|
|Player||Hunter • Titan • Warlock|